Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lakes of the Clouds



Lakes of the Clouds
Mitzpah Hut to Mount Washington:

The moon drifted in and out, much like my sleep. The temperature went pretty low, even in the hut, and I was definitely glad to be inside. I’m concerned with the hernia situation so I’m going to see how it feels today. The weather was supposed to clear up but this morning the report came in and it was looking ugly. I didn’t know if I would be able to summit Mt Washington today. Mount Washington is the tallest mountain in the Northwest. Before it was called Mount Washington, it was called Agiocochook by the local indigenous tribes; which means “home of the Great Spirit” and stands at 6288 feet above sea level. It is the most prominent peak on the East Coast. It is the first land seen by sailors approaching America. The weather here is arguably the most erratic in the US since Mt Washington not only creates its own weather; but stands at the apex of three different, common, weather fronts (the Jet Stream being one of them). It spends over 50% of the time in a cloud and lately, has been covered in clouds for the last three weeks. New England has already broken the record for the rainiest summer in recorded history, and I had to pick this year to attempt to thru-hike the White Mountains.

I left the Hut with a heavy heart and full rain gear. It was COLD. Everything was fogged in; but, the fog kept lifting and coming back again. Some moments it would get sunny and then the mist would drift back in and get bitter cold. I got in to Lakes of the Clouds hut and it looked like Mt Washington was clear for the first time in weeks. I couldn’t believe it. Lakes of the Clouds Hut is spectacular. I can’t even describe the view. I took some pictures but as usual you can’t compare the actual view with pictures. Mt. Washington kept getting cloudy and then clear again so I stopped in the Hut and got some soup and bread before I attempted the climb up the boulder strewn pitch up to the commerce riddled summit. I started up the wrong trail and had to bushwhack back over to the AT. It took me longer than I thought to get up to the top but it was awesome. All day today I was rewarded with amazing views of the White Mountains and it made the day so nice to climb among these spectacular summits all around you. It really makes it a joy to climb when you are surrounded by so much majesty. I decided not to try for the next hut and get a ride into town from the peak and hitch a ride to Gorham where I will probably slack-pack the last sections of The Whites and then go home for the year. Hopefully I will have the funding and the time to come back next year for the rest of the Trail.

The Appalachian Money Club doesn’t let anyone hitchhike down from the summit of Washington because they have an overpriced shuttle service that they run there. I hitchhiked anyway. I am so unimpressed with the AMC it’s not even funny. And now they want to take over Maine’s sections of the AT as well in case you haven’t heard. This cool family took me down the hill and dropped me off. I got out on Rt 16 and hitched in to Gorham with two cats from Massachusetts who are here doing some work here. They dropped me off at Hiker’s Paradise, a hostel in Gorham and I got a shower and set up the command center since my cell phone isn’t working anywhere around here. I keep getting some weird message that says I’m not registered on this network or something like that. At least I can get the Internet here. I really want to try to get some sleep though so I can slack-pack tomorrow. I’ll have to get up early and catch a bus in to Pinkham Notch at 0750.. HaHa! We’ll see if THAT happens! I think I need to go out and get a Coke or something. I’m thirsty.

There are some really weird cats here at the hostel. This cat from England named Dave who I think is a little off his rocker and this other guy Maurice who is a really funny guy but he’s got something going on too. He was talking about wanting to book me for a gig here but I’m not sure how to take him. He seems sharp but he’s a little crazy too. There were supposed to be a bunch of hikers coming here tonight but they never showed up. I am feeling restless and a little out of place as I lay down on the narrow mattress that rustles from the plastic sheath under the cartoon-design cotton sheets.


David AKA "Mister F. Gentle Spirit"
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: