Monday, October 26, 2009

New Adventure!

Jolted awake. My head kept sliding along the plastic window cover on the plane until I got to the place where the crick in my neck became intolerable. Normally a window seat was perfect for sleep but the sweat beading on my head from the fever was making it slippery and I couldn’t rest. I was trying not to exhibit signs of fever, coughing and general flu-like symptoms cause I know how that freaks people out on the plane. I could care less whether or not they caught swine flu; however, I was going home.

The five hour flight was a punishing ordeal of about a hundred false sleeps and overheard boring conversation. I bought a fruit tray for the equivalent of 2 gallons of gas. The yogurt exploded on my powder-blue pyjamas. Whatever…

The last 2 weeks has been a blur of Ski/snowboard training, double feature gigs and hoarse performances while simultaneously moving into an office from my house, getting the flu, no sleep and dealing with over-protective booking agents, inexperienced event coordinators and a club manager who can’t see the forest for the trees. All in a day’s work. Except of course for the flu. I can handle anything when I feel OK but I hate not feeling right inside.

The plane touches down in mid-thought and I’m glad I didn’t have ear-pressure problems. I have some heavy bags and my youngest brother Mike is picking me up at PHL. I haven’t been home since I came off the trail in August of ’08.

I’m feeling like dirt and I probably look like a mental patient wandering the halls of PHL with too many bags and a pale demeanor. We meet and greet, I pull out the HD and start filming cutaways as we drive past downtown Philly and the Ben Franklin Bridge. My stepmom is home and it’s great to see her. I take a nap and Doug comes over while I’m setting up the command center: adapters, chargers and computers so I can remotely administer my affairs.

We decide on bowling and of course I run out of tape before we actually get there. We had a blast and I somehow managed to roll a 194 with a plastic lane ball. Some guys from Uzbekistan were clapping and watching. IT was pretty cool.

We got back and I took over the couch and it was a rough night of flu lungs and crusty eyelids when I finally woke up to the East Coast sun which was up three hours too early.

We are now heading to Sam Ash to pick up some equipment before I play a surprise show at my Grandmother’s retirement home. She doesn’t even know I’m coming…

Tomorrow, Michael and I will be embarking on a journey across the United States. First to New York City to meet with the CEO of the Stetson Hat Company, our newest sponsor and then on to Pittsburg to meet with my best friends little sister. Eventually we will be in Chicago where we will travel along the old Route 66 and see what we can come up with. Adventure never comes planned so we’re not planning for much.

I’ll be posting here as we go along with video, blogs, pictures and other stuff so if yo’re along the way, join us!



David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: