Thursday, May 29, 2008

20 miles and almost out of the Smokies


Not Davenport; but, an example of a fenced-in Shelter

Peck's Shelter to Davenport Gap Shelter 20 miles

We decided that we would make it a long one today. I had a great night's sleep for once and although I got a little wet, I was really warm and woke up completely refreshed. I took this opportunity to get out of bed at 6:00 and harass my brothers. We got out on the trail early and hauled ass. It was overcast almost all of the day and we started out wearing nothing but our rain gear and underwear. After the first climb, the rain gear came off. I hiked the rest of the day in my underwear and it was great. I'm going to climb every day like that. At the end of the day you just take them off and put on your regular clothes and you are totally dry. It was great!

We got in to the shelter and it had fencing and a gate door to keep the bears out or the humans in, one. There wasn't a bear hang and someone had a fire going already when we got there. We supped and I changed, washed my legs with a bottle of water and decided to stay in the shelter for once. Dan and Brittany were there, they don’t have trail names yet but we’ll think of something. They are brother and sister and they are doing the trail. That’s gotta be even tougher than three brothers. Then again, I’ve only just gotten to know what it’s like to have sisters so maybe it’s easier. Just kidding buys, I know how much you love that one…

It was a killer long day and my knee was doing this thing where it would randomly feel like someone chopped it right in the middle with an axe. I’m not sure if it’s really a problem or if it’s just a random pain but it doesn’t seem to have a reason. I can’t duplicate it by moving my knee in a certain way, it just randomly does it.

I left my Crocs at the former shelter and I'm really pissed about it. First of all, they were completely unique Crocs that I got when the company first came to San Diego. No one had Crocs like this, they were boat-shoe style Crocs with leather uppers and they kept all the pebbles out. Regular Crocs have low backs and whenever you’re walking to go get water, the pebbles and sticks and dirt get in. If one of you is reading this and you find my Crocs back at the Peck Shelter, please mail them to me at PO Box 12070 San Diego 92112. I want those bastards back, bad! Secondly, I don't want to have to run around in camp in my soaking wet, sweaty boots. I need to give my aching feet a rest.

I was pretty worried about bears as I crept out to hang the bear bag with Rolex. It was after dark and I know there are bears around; otherwise, they wouldn’t have a damn, chain-link fence covering the opening of the shelter! We eventually found a tree and I hung the line while Rolex kept his eyes open for Ursas Major, sweeping the dark landscape with his headlamp like a Stalag 13 guard on crack. I thought we were in a disco or something. It was like the grand opening of a downtown restaurant, Hey Rolex, there aren’t any bears up the trees, already!!! Just kidding, he was as emotionally steady as usual; blithe and unconcerned, except for the availability of cell reception so he could call his lady. I hope the bag is high enough...

David AKA "Jukebox"


Website:
http://www.brotherproof.com
Blog:
http://brotherproof.blogspot.com
Pictures:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Film:
http://www.youtube.com/wbaf1
Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/brotherproof
David's Website:
http://www.davidpatrone.com

No comments: