Friday, June 27, 2008

Wawayanda Watermelon Haul

The Mayor’s House to Wawayanda Shelter 19 Miles

We got out of there and the Mayor dropped us off at the trailhead. Breakfast was wonderful and we said goodbye to the Mayor, Butch and Bill. We had a long one in front of us but we knew we were going to run into a bunch of people that had been at the Mayor’s. We were going for a 20 mile day and we’re going to try to make the Hudson River by Sunday evening. It’s going to be a long haul but we want to make it as far as possible before Cyclone heads home. We really took our time today. We stopped and ate a bunch of berries, filmed a bunch of stuff including another bear that was hanging out on the trail ahead of us. We stopped at a cool produce place called Heaven Hill Farms where they had great ice cream and fruit and stuff. We got a little to eat; it was only a tenth of a mile off the trail. Then I got the wacky iodea to carry a watermelon up the 1000 foot vertical climb to the next shelter. I knew I had to do it as soon as I thought of it. No one would believe I would do something like that which is exactly why I had to do it. Defining moments come along pretty often on this trail and I like to take advantage of all of them. We got a seven pound watermelon and I found a way to stuff it in the pack. I carried that bastard all the way up the hill but I wasn’t sorry I did it. It was so cool to pull that thing out when we got to the shelter after a 20 mile day and give it to the Ohio State crew. Riddler and the Scarlet Seven are a group of people who are hiking for six weeks as far as they can go. We knew they would be able to appreciate the true value of a watermelon on the trail after climbing that hill themselves. It’s weird without Rolex. We had too much spaghetti but man was it good! We finally killed the bottle of parmesan cheese. I’m a little concerned about all of the food smells tonight. There is a ton of stuff in the bear boxes and I can guarantee a bear comes by tonight and tries to get into that thing. I’m just trying to get this blog out before that happens. It’s been dark for about an hour now and this is the time they come by. A group of six girls came up to the shelter late and cooked this amazing mud pie, peanut butter, jello thing and there’s no way five bears can’t smell it from all over the state. I better get this posted and get in my tent before I become dinner.

David AKA “Mr. F'n Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: