Saturday, June 28, 2008

Squishy Boots and Ice Cream Hiatus

Wawayanda Shelter to Wildcat Shelter 12 miles

Last night I managed to clean up a little bit in the bathroom at the nearby ranger station and we haven’t needed to use our water purifier much because there have been spigots or restrooms around us. We got up and left just behind the Scarlet Seven Crew and spent some hours trying to figure out the “what fits under the Umbrella” game. I’m still not sure what fits under the umbrella but I know the umbrella always fits under the umbrella. That’s all I know. We were cruising right along and then the trail started to get interesting. We traversed long ridges of smooth rock and lots of ups and downs. We finally crossed over into New York for good, goodbye to New Jersey and signed the Logbook with lots of sweat drops blurring the ink. I thought this section was supposed to be easy but I started sweating a lot and my socks kept getting really wet. I have to wring them out and change them while I hang the old ones on the back of my pack although they never really get dry. I’m completely out of dry socks, or dry anything for that matter. We got to NY17A and someone hipped us to the Bellvale Farms Creamery. We got some ice cream of course; it was about 300 yards west of the trail so we just had to, twice. It was hot and sunny and I rinsed out my socks and left them on the hot concrete to dry from a spigot that was on the side of the building. Cyclone and I eventually stayed there for several hours as lots of people we knew kept rolling in and getting ice cream, then moving on. Not us! Birch beer in a bottle and vanilla ice cream… Ahhhhhhhhhhh, satisfaction! It rained for a little bit and we eventually got back on the trail; wet socks and wet boots. Hiking with a heavy pack and pruney feet is not a good idea. Every couple of hours they start squish squishing and I have to take them off and wring them out. I feel like I’m getting blisters under my feet in a weird place in the middle of my foot but under the pads next to the ball of my foot. I’ve never had that happen before. I need gaiters desperately. Maybe I’ll get some tomorrow when Mike picks Cyclone up. Since we spent so much time at the Ice Cream place, we didn’t think we could make the next shelter so we just packed it in at Wildcat. It was only 12 miles but I could use a rest with my feet acting up. The Scarlet crew was with us as we came in to the shelter and so were some of the other guys we have met. I met a couple of new hikers: Baggins and Mr Burns (who looks just like Mr Burns from The Simpsons). We ate and I played guitar and so did one of the Scarlet Seven, his name escapes me, and another of them sang. I’m writing this like four days later so please forgive me for not being able to recall your names, email me and I’ll fix the blog. Tomorrow Cyclone goes home.

David AKA “Mister Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: