Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Roan Mountain Ramblin'


Cyclone overlooking the Fields


Fire road Campsite to Ash Gap Campsite 18 Miles

I stayed in the hammock and let the fellas leave early this morning, I’m sick of being rushed so I just suggested they take off without me. I have enough water so I’ll just meet them way up the road. We had a cool camp last night despite the imminent threat of thunderstorms and crazy winds and lightning, I lit a fire. It turned out to be a good idea. We had a nice fire.

Water sources haven’t been very good and I haven’t been able to wash the mud off of my legs. I hate sleeping in my bag with dirty legs. My feet have a wet dog smell after a while and I don’t like transferring it to my sleeping bag along with the dried dirt crumbs and possible varmints living in them. I got out of camp about 45 minutes after Cyclone and Rolex. I am starting to really like hiking alone. You wouldn’t believe the things that go through my mind as I hike, especially when I’m in pain. I have been writing a novel in my head as we walk. I also go through all of these fantastic scenarios.

We got in to Ash Gap campsite and the water was way down the hill and hard to fill up. We only stopped here so we wouldn’t have to hike all the way up Roan Mountain on a 23 Mile day. They say that it’s beautiful to stay at the top of Roan Mountain but I was chafing so badly when I got in to the campsite that I just couldn’t go anymore. The space between my leg and scrotum looks just like seared ahi. I know that sounds disgusting but it’s true. I’m not exactly bleeding but the skin is bright read and rubbed off. There’s a kind of foam of dead skin collected down there and not only does it smell awful but it looks really dangerous bacterially. I asked Cyclone if we had any Neosporin and he threw me the tube. I’m really worried it might get seriously infected since I can’t really clean it. I’m not about to try and wash it. It’s excruciating to touch. I’d hate to have to get off the trail from something as stupid as Jock Rot.

I’m definitely not looking forward to the climb up Roan Mountain tomorrow but as long as I just put one foot in front of the other I eventually get up the hills in time. Continuing up Roan Mountain at the end of this day would have been a bad idea. I went and got some wood and started a fire while my brothers were down trying to get some water from the trickling stream. I’m starting to dig these nightly campfires. I have an idea they scare the bears away. It’s probably not true but I like the idea of it and it helps me get to sleep. We filmed our setup of the tents and I want to do a time lapse thing with it. I’m too tired to continue typing and it’s really uncomfortable sitting on this log. Tomorrow...

David AKA "Jukebox"


Website:
http://www.brotherproof.com
Blog:
http://brotherproof.blogspot.com
Pictures:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Film:
http://www.youtube.com/wbaf1
Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/brotherproof
David's Website:
http://www.davidpatrone.com

No comments: