Sunday, April 24, 2011

Mile 1


The wind was moderate, although not as bad as I've seen in some videos when Thru-Hikers climb the monument and somehow balance on the top with 40 mph winds rippling their clothing and beards.

It was 2 pm by the time we got to the monument and my hopes for reaching Lake Morena on the first day were slim. I hadn't hiked anything longer than 5 or six miles since I left the Appalachian Trail in August of '08 Even then, 20 milers were rough on the feet; however, this year I was going much lighter. I plan on picking up a map at the Kickoff party this weekend but I don't have one yet. I'm confident I can figure it out. I need to get a wristwatch too. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things. Time will tell...

The clouds were threatening rain and the temperature swung from hot to cool with the wind gusting at times as I moved along. There are several burn areas where the foliage has begin to finally take hold and decorating the black, burnt, skeletons of trees were beautiful purple and sage-colored flowers, like some sort of macabre funeral. It was amazing. I would have taken some pictures but I was rushed for time and I was sure the pictures won't do it justice, you'll have to go see it for yourself, it's only a couple of miles in...

I mistook the first campsite at 14 miles for a makeshift campfire pit. I was planning on stopping there but 2 miles later, when I got to Hauser Creek, I realized I had passed it. One one hand, I had gone further than I expected, on the other hand, it was already getting dark and I hadn't setup this hammock in a couple of years. By the time I finished it was pitch black, I was cursing, dirty, tired and hungry but I decided to go to bed without fixing any of those problems. I was on the PCT!

David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: