Thursday, April 28, 2011

Slackpacking to the 8

Slackpacking today and a late start but I'm not worried. The hike was nice with only about 20 lbs. I wish I could do that all the time. I left some stuff in there, unfortunately I forgot to put any food in there so I went 17 miles with no food. It wasn't too bad but I did have to stop for some burgers on my way back to SD. I ran into a bunch of hikers coming north and I stopped to talk to most of them. I had to remind myself that I wasn't going to make it if I didn't shut my mouth and start walking. The Kickoff party starts tonight at Lake Morena but I probably won't be able to go. I met some trail workers just north of Cibbetts that were extracting a rock from the middle of the trail. These guys and girls amaze me, small teams of volunteers who work for 3 months at a time maintaining the trail. They were as dirty as thru-hikers if not dirtier and I watched move a 200 pound boulder before I continued on.

Tomorrow I'l go out to the ADZPCTKO party which stands for "Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off" and I heard there are a record number of people coming. You get to meet a whole bunch of the hikers who will be making the attempt this year. they also have seminars, presentations, vendors and a silent auction so you can really get a lot done in one weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the Stick Pic guy. He had some cool stuff last year.


David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: