Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dartmouth Outing Club


Jammin' at Panarchy

Happy Hill Shelter to Hanover: 6 miles

It was raining when I awoke. I had no urge to rush out of the shelter. The rain held off all night until the morning. I actually got out of bed uncharacteristically early at 7AM and packed up pretty early; however, I ended up BSing all morning and didn’t get out of there until 9 or so. It was going to be a short one into town and I figured I wouldn’t go anywhere. I was very interested to see what Dartmouth is like and this would be the nicest town I would pass through on the trail yet. After a few miles I got out on some roads and it was road hiking from then on in. Several miles of road gets kind of boring and I eventually crossed the river into Hanover. The town is beautiful. The campus is clean and there are tons of students here since they have a requirement that their third year students spend a summer session here. The campus is so well groomed I feel like a dirty interloper, eyes wide open for a lodging opportunity and trying not of obviously ogle the beautiful female student body(s). Man I feel like a dirty, old man all of a sudden. It must be the beard. Summer is a great place for Dartmouth to be and I’m glad we coincide at this moment. I looked around and easily identified the thru-hikers among the clean bodies and intellectuals. Dartmouth has an awesome organization called the Dartmouth Outing Club (DOC) and they have maintained the trails around here for a long time. One of the halls is open to Thru-hikers to drop in and get a bathroom and drop the packs but it’s tough to find lodging here. I had a long chat with Sam and he hipped me to the haps ion the town. Tomorrow they are doing this 50 mile marathon Hike to Mt. Moosilauke where they hike for 24 hours and 54 miles. CRAZY! I tried to sign up but it’s a lottery and only 30 peeps can do it so I was out of luck. That’s alright; I have to pick up a mail drop in a town before Mt Moose anyway. I’m probably going to Zero here tomorrow. During the week, the Phi Tau house offers hikers a place to stay but when I got down there they informed me that Thursday through Saturday, they don’t do it. I wasn’t sure what to do at this point but I came back to the DOC and dropped my pack and went tooling around, looking for a place to crash. If all else fails I’ll sleep at the soccer field where they allow tenting. I ran into this cat Billy and a few other guys: Butters, Rock Steady, etc. I went down to get free pizza at Ramuntos. They offer a free slice to Thru-hikers who sign the log. IT started raining again and I figured I was going to need to hook up with someone cool and crash at their pad so I flew back to the DOC, picked up my pack and headed down to the India Queen, a local hookah bar and restaurant. I met some cool peeps; Rachel, Ed, Peter and Paul who invited me to hang with them and smoke the hookah. Tomorrow is my one year anniversary of quitting smoking. I don’t miss it at all so I figured what the hell. I hit the hookah a couple of times and we talked about tattoos and the trail until they split and I went to find food. I roamed around and ended up in some place called 5 Olde Nugget Alley Bar. I got some skins and Billy came in and told me he found a place to sleep. Eventually I went back with him and we met a bunch of girls living in this huge place that used to be a frat house. It was interesting and after much guitar playing and general tomfoolery, they went to bed and we crashed on the couches.

David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: