Friday, July 11, 2008

Takin’ a short one for the Goose Pond


Upper Goose Pond

Shaker Campsite to Upper Goose Pond Cabin: 10 Miles

I got up late but so did Moses so I felt better about myself. It got really cold last night and I was naked in the hammock so I slept like crap. I don’t like sleeping naked in the hammock but it was hot when I went to bed. I just couldn’t get warm and I wasn;t about to get out of the hammock. I just kept rolling around in different positions, trying to find one that would miraculously warm me up. It’s so weird that I’ll be freezing but still be damp from sweat in the hammock which makes me colder. I gotta remember to always wear clothes from now on. Me and Moses BSd from about an hour and I took my time getting ready. Even HE beat me out of camp. I don’t think I got out of there until like 1030. I was going to have to hustle like crazy if I was going to get to the cookie lady’s house at about 21 miles. There were a couple of tough climbs too. If I could only get up the big hills I’d have it made for the rest of the day. There was a shelter at a big pond about 10 miles up where you could go swimming but it was a half a mile off trail and I didn’t feel like walking an extra mile on a 21 mile day. I wasn’t sure if the cookie lady was even going to be there but it would put me a short day into Dalton MA and I could get some laundry and re-supply there. If you are going to be in a town on a Saturday night you want to make sure you get in early enough to wash your clothes early enough to smell human and go to dinner. As I was getting near the top of the hills I ran into Pine Knot. I’ve been hearing about her for a while but I haven’t met her yet so I stopped to talk to her for a while. It was going to make it close time wise but I had a pretty easy hike. As I got near to the turn off to that pond. I nice dip started to sound great and then out of nowhere it started to drizzle and the Mosquitoes were coming out. I decided a half mile to the cabin might be nice to wait out the rain and cook a little lunch and see what’s what, maybe take a dip in the pond in the rain. I like swimming in the rain. It’s one of those things that Moms tell you never to do; which is usually my first requirement for liking something. Swimming in the rain has its hazards; like lightning for instance, and swimming in the rain in a pond at the top of a mountain is probably a really dumb idea but there were lots of tall trees around so I wasn’t really worried too much. I got to the cabin which was being caretaken by two really cool people; Mama Lipton and her husband whose name escapes me right now. Indy was here already and had stayed the night last night. The scarlet four showed up (yep, another one bit the dust) and a few more people showed up. There are 16 bunks here and this place is really cool. Mama Lipton makes pancakes in the morning and of course, after a dip in the pond and some ramen and tuna, I decided to stay the night. Oh well, 21 miles tomorrow to get to Dalton. Piece of cake JDavid AKA “Mister Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: