Friday, July 4, 2008

Escape from New York




Telephone Shelter to Mt Algo Shelter 21 Miles

I got up and the world was wet. I decided to put on my rain pants so I would avoid all the wetness from passing brush and plants from dripping water straight into my boots. It was a damn good idea; although, it was sweaty and my socks got drenched anyway. I had no way to keep my feet dry and I was afraid they would start to blister again because they get vulnerable after they’ve been pruney for a couple of days. I would get six or seven miles and then have to wring the socks out and air my feet a little before I would get back on it for a while. Time was looking good for me to get in to Kent before Sundown but I figured everything would be closed and then I still had Schaghticoke (sheh-ti-ko) mountain to climb. It didn’t look to bad though, only a 1000 vertical climb and then the book said it went down again a thousand feet to Algo Shelter. It was going to be a long day but I might be able to get to see some fireworks and wash some clothes. This is what I thought but this is not what happened. The climb up to Shaghticoke was tough and I didn’t have the rest of the map all the way in to Kent. The guidebook gave elevations that only showed declining altitude into Algo but there were climbs in between that it didn’t show; Big Climbs and totally pointless ups and downs. You would follow a ridge line and instead of hiking up on top of it you would go up and down and up and down along it. I was getting so pissed off. Then there was this heart thundering climb to nowhere and an agonizing descent. The Appalachian Trail Council says they blaze the trail to be scenic but these guys had pain in mind. You could tell it was for no other reason than to make it a challenging hike. This wasn’t helping me to get in to Kent on time. I would have to stop at the shelter. I was really hoping to spend the 4th, telling war stories and hanging out with a bunch of folks from town. I was also hoping for a little gratuitous hot dog and hamburger action from a passing picnic or two. When I got to the shelter Papa Bear and the Preacher boys were there with their wife/mom. He said, “I got the best trail magic: My Wife!” They gave me some of their dinner which was delicious and it looked like some serious rain was coming. I set up in the dark and didn’t bother to hang a bear bag. I just stuffed it in my pack and prayed for the best. My feet are soggy and pruney and they won’t get any drier tonight that’s for sure. I’ll get in to Kent in the morning and finish as much as I can before trying to hike some more in the afternoon. It’s interesting how holidays don’t seem to matter much while I’m on the trail. There’s too much stuff that has to be done and all the rest of the time is spent sleeping or playing the guitar before bed. Wet Sox and Jukebox went in to town and then came back. They said there were no fireworks so at least I didn’t miss that. I was wondering what people back home would be doing, what I was missing out on, and it occurred to me that I really didn’t care. Maybe all this rain is just depressing me. I’m either soaked from sweat or soaked from the rain so it really shouldn’t matter to me either way. I just really need to find a way to keep my feet dry so I can walk further.

David AKA “Mister Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: