Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Annoying Bird Alarm Clock


The Rare Appalachian Flamingo

Greymoor Friary to RPH Shelter 19 miles

The annoying birds were at it again this morning. Who needs an alarm clock when you have some freaky bird doing some weird interval that you can’t quite get and then he changes it each time just a little bit so that you have to get up out of your tent and throw a rock at it? Who needs an alarm clock when you have birds like that around at 5AM squawkin’ and makin’ a racket just outside your damn tent? Anyway, my foot felt like I might be able to walk on it pretty far today so I ate my cheese and Abruzzo Sausage with a croissant and packed up and got the heck out of there. New York has horrible blazes. Half of them are so faded you can’t tell whether or not you are actually on the trail and then the other half of the time there aren’t any blazes and you end up backtracking of rno reason just to make sure you didn’t miss a turn somewhere. Especially the section I was on today. North of Rt 301 it got a hell of a lot better but before that NY has been a real pain in the ass. My foot held up today and around 1430 I got to Canopus Lake and I walked about a mile and a half out of my way just to get a hamburger and swim in the lake. Then I met this fella by the name of Nick Beilenson who offered to give me a lift back to the trailhead. I was so happy! He also bought me a Gatorade , two frozen snickers bars and an Italian Water Ice (Lemon of course). What a guy! Thanks Nick you’re officially a “Trail Angel.” I’ll get your picture up as soon as I find a USB cable. I got back on the trail and while I was sitting on the side of the road some guy puilled up in a bus and came over to talk to me. He was pretty cool. He’s going to try the trail one of these days. His name was Rick I think. I got back on the trail by 5 with a few more hours to go to get to the RPH shelter and I was feeling good. My socks have been staying dry; I’ve been taking it easy. I ran up on Sluthammer on the trail who is finishing up a few sections. We talked so much I hardly noticed we were cruising along at like 3.5 MPH and I got to the shelter in no time. I have great cell signal and I’m going to be bale to post my blog tonight so I’m pretty happy. I’m hoping I can get into Kent by tomorrow night and catch some festivities for the 4th of July. Ahhhh! My feet are swelling up and they are killing me. I gotta go get some sleep. See you later!
Sluthammer, Nick B, Rick, Jukebox, Wet Sox,

David AKA “Mister Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: