Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Library captivation and back on the trail




Salisbury to Laurel Ridge Campsite 10 miles

I got stuck in Salisbury all day and I almost didn’t make it out. I was at the library for about 4 hours posting blogs and checking email. Then I went down to the store and got a sandwich and kept running into people to talk to. I didn’t get on the trail until about 4PM and I had wanted to do a 20 mile day but that was definitely out. I’d be lucky to get 10, even if maria drove me to the trailhead. She offered to drive me up to another trailhead further on (I suppose she had done this for other people) but I’m a purist and I said I would have to go back to where I came off, even if it would avoid six miles and one hell of a mountain (Lion Head) that I would have to climb. I wasn’t sure how far I would get tonight; but I would at least get some miles in and be ON the trail. It’s so hard to get out of town but I think I won’t take any zeros until my birthday. I haven’t had a zero since Unionville back on June 27th or something like that. Bruhawk and Magnus passed me up and told me they were going to some campsite. When I got there I didn’t see anyone and it looked foreboding so I decided to get to the next campsite. There was no way I was going to make a shelter before nightfall; but, there was another campsite about 1.5 miles ahead. I would barely make the campsite before nightfall; but, at least I’d be up in the hills instead of down in Mosquitoville next to a brook. Besides, there were a lot of signs about bears and I think we all know how I feel about bears. I rushed up to the next place and it was wet and muggy and buggy and hard. I rolled in to the site just before dark and had to set up my stuff in the dark but Papa Bear and the Preacher boys were there along with about 10 YMCA girls from New York or something. The girls were there for a week or something, doing some really short sections. Three of them came by late with a huge bag of mini M&Ms for us and the boys sang them a cool song. Entertainment is at a premium out here. I finally got a place to hang my hammock and I crashed out. I didn’t even eat dinner. I know I’m going to be losing a lot of weight over the next few weeks. Without my bros to keep me on schedule, I like to roll in late and when I do I don’t get eats, I just crash and worry about it in the morning. I’m more concerned about deer ticks than I am starving.

David AKA “Mister Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: