Sunday, July 6, 2008

Naked Mosquito Dance




Stewart Hollow Lean-to to Cornwall bridge to Pine Swamp Brook Lean-to: 11 miles

I slept OK considering my back. The hammock was probably the best alternative on the trail but I sure could have used a nice bed to lay belly down and let it just relax. I could have used some Tylenol or something too but I don’t carry any of that stuff. It was pretty sore all morning and I took a while to get my stuff together. It was about a 4 mile hike to get to a road which went into a little “town” called Cornwall Bridge, which consists basically of a package store (alcohol) a fishing outfitter, a general store and a few other weekday businesses like a chainsaw repair shop or something like that. I walked the 9/10 of a mile in to the general store and saw the Preacher boys with Papa Bear and Mama Bear; Shakedown Cruise was there; along with Cat, Indy and Zeke. They had a deli in the general store where I picked up a huge Hoagie (they call them “Grinders” here). We sat around for a couple of hours. I wanted to let my back get a rest and so I blogged a bunch but no signal so I couldn’t post them. I was only planning on doing a 6 mile hike in to the next shelter anyway. I picked up some Generic Acetaminophen and took a few. I couldn’t believe how much it helped. I very rarely take stuff like that but it fixed me all up. Later, while I was climbing I was cruising and didn’t feel a thing until the sun went down. Maybe it was laced with some other stuff… The climbs were definitely significant but I felt great and went right up them; plus, I had half a hoagie left that I was saving for dinner Yee haw! I couldn’t wait. The Mosquitoes are unbelievable. If you stop for a minute they are on you. They were part of the reason I was cruising so fast. I’ve never seen anything like it. Beset by Mosquitoes I moved on! From now on I’ll be talking about two types of mosquitoes. There are mosquitoes and there are Mosquitoes. Today I was marauded by Mosquitoes. When I got to the shelter it was even worse. The shelter is called Pine Swamp Brook Lean-to and anywhere there is a sign that says “Swamp” that’s basically short for “MOSQUITOES.” The water source was brown; full of tannic acid from the leaves in the water. At least, I think that’s why it’s brown. It almost looks like Iced Tea. It’s clear but it’s brown and I don’t like using it. I’ll have to figure out whether it’s safe or what. I went down to the brook and washed up. I wash standing in the middle of the swamp stark naked, dancing on the mossy bank, trying to swat Mosquitoes and get my pants on at the same time. Next time I’ll film it. Cat and Indy were up at the shelter and we all got in our tents at dusk just to get away from the marauders.

David AKA “Mister Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.wbafinc.org/
Photos:
http://www.photobucket.com/brotherproof
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/WBAF1

No comments: