Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Back off trail and on tour to Burbak

woke up at the campsite at walker pass, hung out with everyone, warner springs Monty was there and setting up his camp. I was going to shuttle Balls and Sunshine but another guy took care of that. I tried to talk to the guy that has the internet thing at Kennedy Meadows to maybe set up a gig but he was in a rush to go back I think his name was Tom,

got on the road in the early afternoon and headed down to Burbank. I made pretty good time and I dropped in to Joe's Great American Bar and grill where the gig was going to be that night. I realized at that time that I hadn't sent Torch any promo material so he didn't have anything up on the walls, oh well, I know he has a good following at these gigs , I've seen it before and there are usually a ton of people there so I wasn't worried about it... ok maybe a little

I dropped off most of my gear on the stage and looked around a little before I went over to Torch's place to take a shower and wash some clothes. We caught up and I realized I hadn't posted the gig on Facebook so I took care of that and we sat around listening to a bunch of old records he picked up at a thrift store. You can get all these old vinyl albums with random stuff on them for like 25 cents a piece and you never know when you're going to run into some little gem you wouldn't have ever heard of otherwise. You just need to have an old record player is all...

We headed out to get a haircut from a giel at a salon, it was pretty sweet. they had great coffee and m&ms in a glass jar. I was in hiker heaven. I told the girl at the desk the joke about a day hiker. section hiker and a thru hiker and the M&M.

Got down to Joe's, I met everyone and then we sound checked. I had three amazing players with me that night. David Miller on Bass (who called the other two cats) Mark Cally on Guitar and Paul Lines on drums. These guys are all superstars and it was a real pleasure to play with them. the crowd was jumping too and I had a great time messin around and playing music. I love nights like that, the crowd was aces.
I was going to crash at Torch's but I really wanted to get home and sleep in Laura's bed (she was pretty stoked about it too) and despite my best efforts, we didn't get out of the club til two and then I had to go back to torch's to pack up the stuff and drive back to SD. Needless to say I took a nap or two in random parking lots when I was doing touch-and-go on the steering wheel. I got in as the sun was coming up and jumped into a warm, soft bed with a warm, soft girlfriend. She was glad I took a long shower at Torch's.

Just notes, not an actual entry:
Trail angel mama and her son Jayhawk,
Warner Springs Monty showed up and we set him up , then I split for Burbank. I had a gig at Joe's Great American Bar and Grill for Mark Tortorici aka "Torch" and his regular Tuesday night event. When I got in to town, I hung out at his place, did laundry, got ready and went to the gig refreshed. It was packed and a great night for swing dancing. Torch really has a good thing going there.

funny how my legs and feet are trashed but as soon as I get on that stage i'm dancing around like afoo and I can't feel any pain. I had a killer-diller band with David Miller and Mark Cally from Royal Crown revue and Paul Lines ondrums. Man i wish I had guys like that all the time...

After the gig I drove back to San Diego but kept passing out on the side of the road and didn't get in til late the next morning. My tooth was really starting to throb, two days ago I had run out of the amoxicillin I got at the VA back in May. I had a lot of stuff to do to catch up with work and get to Mexico and see what was going to have to happen. They're probably going to have to pull the bastard... Oh well, sleep first...


David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: