Thursday, June 16, 2011

Of Meadows and Mosquitoes


It was the first time I got to use my new sleeping bag in the wild. It kept me fantastically warm. It was wet though, and the inside of my tent was covered in a fine layer of ice. I didn't want to get up. I was hoping the sun would come out and dry the whole thing up. The night before the moon had been so bright I thought someone was standing outside of my tent with a spotlight. Unfortunately my bowels had other ideas and I was going to have to get out of this tent and find a tree to water. when packing up I tried to dry everything out but eventually had to just accept that it was going to be wet. Maybe sleeping in a hige meadow with a creek running through it was not the best idea.

We hiked along hige meadows all day and crossed the winding Kern river which kind of reminded me of a high altitude Missouri. Fortunately there was a bridge there although it was marauded by swallows who dive-bombed us as we crossed it. I imagined what it would be like to get in a tube and float down the Kern all the way to wherever it eventually led.

We eventually got in to a campsite that was just along another creek. I objected to camping there but I was overruled. I really didn't want to get marauded by a hundred mosquitoes. The fellas use Deet but I'm not a fan. As we got in to camp my head started to pound. I hadn't been drinking as much water as I should have been and I didn't feel like getting water in a cloud of skeeters. Sprinkles came over and sprayed me down with deet and I hate the smell but I ended up just climbing into my tent and trying to rest. It was early and the fellas wondered what was wrong with me. Data Muffin and Topsy Turvy came in to camp and I finally got out of my tent to get something to eat. I couldn't tell if the headache was from altitude or dehydration but I suspected that it was probably a combination of both. I'm still on antibiotics too and I've just started to get some diarrhea so I'm a little worried about it but I've got about 6 more days of walking til a town so I guess I'll just wait it out.

We made a fire and sat around eating. Our food cannisters are very heavy and I'm torn between conserving food and dropping weight. It's weird knowing I have so far to walk just to get back to civilization. I realize now that I'm also not going to have zero cellphone signal the entire time I'm out here. I have a gig on the 23rd, so I must be able to get out of the Sierra by the night of the 22nd. I'm shooting for Kearsarge Pass by the town of Independence on I-395. That means I'm going to have to walk about 10 miles off the PCT to get there and over the Kearsarge Pass and down to my car in time to get back to San Diego for my gigs on the 23rd, 24th and 25th. I actually haven't called my musicians for the gig yet so I'm going to have to get out in time to get that stuff together too. These are the things that keep me awake at night...






David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: