Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cowboy Camping on the Ridge

Woke up and got out an hour earlier than the day before. O don't think I've ever started hiking at 7:30am without major provocation before. I wasn't sure where I was going but I have just gotten used to listening to other people talk out here and following their directions. I have maps in my iPad but I don't ever feel like looking at them.

It turned out I was going for a place called scissors crossing at the 79 where you could go in to Julian if you wanted to. I know how these towns acan suck you in so I wasn't trying to go into julian and waste money on a hotel; however, as I got closer I kept thinking that lunch would be nice if I could get a hitch in pretty quickly. When I finally got to scissors crossing it was extrememely hot and I didn't see a good way to hitch in at all. I walked down the road a but and so many others were trying to hitch that I would have to wait until at least three cars stopped. Out of frustration I decided to start walking to Julian; however, the more I thought about it the more I realized I had no plans to actually walk the 12 miles in and there was much less of a chance of a car stopping because there was no real shoulder on the road here. I was about a mile down the road when I decided to go back. Just about the time I got back there, two trucks showed up and we all git rides in to Julian.

Ate lunch at Mom's Cafe and it turns out they give a free lunch to PCT Thru-hikers! Awesome! I grabbed some candy in the general store for the walk and went down to the post office to see if I could get a hitch back to Scissors Crossing. As I got in to the post office, a short RV pulled out and stopped for me. It was the notorious "Spring Guy" who maintains many of the springs here on the SoCal sections of the PCT. There were already a bunch of people in the van and I piled in for the trip back to SC

Back at SC there were a ton of Thru-Hikers lounging in the sun. Sugar Mama came up with some oranges and I learned that orange peels don't degrade in the wild. I wasn't too sure about that but whatever, I threw them in the trash instead of the bushes anyway. I BSed for a bit and then finally headed out.

The climb was rough. It was hot as hell and I really didn't bring enough water. I was caught by a crew of 5 fast hikers including two girls that hiked way faster than I was capable of with my beat-up kicks and dehydrated head. I caught them again just before we decided to camp. I was going for "Third Gate but it was still 5 mikes away so I just dropped with them at a bare spot and didn't even bother to pitch my tent. (cowboy Camping for those of you who are unfamiliar with the term) The stars were amazing; but there was some light-pollution from San Diego so we couldn't really see the milky way. Maybe later as we get closer to the remote wilderness.


David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: