Monday, May 30, 2011

Waking up to a Murder (of Crows)

By 7am I found myself throwing pinecones at a murder of crows but by then the damage was already done. I was up. We goofed around a bit with the family and said our goodbyes and nice to have met ya's and I drove up to the Anderson's and Casa De Luna. My plan was to drop my car off and get a ride back to the Saufley's so i could do the 24 & 24 challenge with Sprinkles and Bandit.

The Saufleys and the Andersons are two of the most notorious hiker refuges on the PCT. Although they are only separated by 24 hiking miles, they are about a thousand miles apart in their approach to hiker hospitality and trail angelics. The Saufley's are the first of the two that you hit on the trail and they have an efficient operation where you roll in, take of your clothes, put on some "Saufley Electric" sweats while they wash all your stuff. They have racks with at least a hundred mail drop packages in alphabetical order (including my brand new sleeping bag), tents with cots that you can stay in and by the time you're settled in, your clothes are done. They have a lot of resources for you there, information boards and gentle music playing out over the "Compound." There's a piano, a guitar, and it's all very well organized. It's very nice and they've made it very convenient to stay there. They have a rule though, you can only stay for two nights.

The Andersons have a similar rule: You have to stay there at least 2 nights and to be honest I think they'd rather see you stay there than finish the trail. Their place is called Casa De Luna and is also affectionately referred to as "The Vortex." They have a couple of couches out front and a large back yard with a big Manzanita Forest with campsites strewn throughout. You basically just plop your stuff down and sleep wherever you end up. The booze is flowing, the people are loud and it's basically like a big hippie compound. Joe and Terry Anderson are crazy and fun. There are hammocks, instruments, a frizbee golf course and strange games like chocolate syrup wrestling and the 24 in 24 challenge.

The 24/24 challenge is where you hike out from the Saufley's with a case of beer and you consume one every mile until you reach the road that goes to the Anderson's. I don't drink so I was just going to accompany Sprinkles and Bandit as they did the challenge but it was so hard to get back to the Saufley's after I got my car there and so, instead of asking Bandit's girlfriend to drive all that way and back, I decided to stay at the Anderson's and skip that 24 mile section and wait for Bandit and Sprinkles. Meanwhile I would help trail angel and shuttle some hikers.

That night I pulled out a bunch of instruments and we had a great jam session and about 25 hikers sat around the fire and we sang all night long. There are a few good guitarists and singers here and this cat Pepe is a really good guitarist and we are able to do jazz tunes. Virgo was there and he filmed it and even sat in on my drum kit. It was an amazing night and everyone had a great time. I passed out on the futon in the front yard in my brand-new Exped Dreamwalker 20 degree sleeping bag.










David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: