Sunday, May 8, 2011

Trail Magic mambo


On Saturday Jeff brought me back out to the Casa after I BSed all day, washing my clothes and getting food. I made it out to Mike's and it started to get really cold. There were no spots in the shack so I camped outside on the ground and it rained. I hate getting started in the rain so I dallied finally getting out later with a long hike ahead. I wasn't sure where I was going to stop but my blisters were gone and I was feeling great physically. It was pretty cold but great weather for hiking so I was cruising fast. The day sweetened up and I got in a great groove. In the afternoon it started to get colder and storm clouds were looming so I picked it up, so fast, in fact that I actually strained my hamstring and got a gnarly shin-splint on my left leg. I hobbled in to the Rt 74 campsite at 6:40 and saw an RV there. More trail angels! Boomer and Dr. Sole were there and they were about to shuttle a group of thur-hikers to the Paradise Cafe Boomer did the PCT b2b 2008 and 2009. He's a private chef and it turns out we've done events together. I didn't have time to set up the tent and I just hoped it wouldn't rain until I came back. WRONG!

We got to the Paradise Cafe and I think I had the biggest damn burger I've ever seen. It was the Motherlode Burger with 2 half pound patties of meat. They also had Bunderberg Ginger Ale and I couldn't have been happier at that moment. That is, of course, until I looked outside and saw that it was pouring rain. My pack was just sitting under an awning and from the looks of the blowing wind, would be doing nothing to protect my pack and it's contents. SHIT!

My leg hurt so bad I didn't really care, I just wanted to chill. When I got back the rain had not totally soaked my pack but the outside was pretty wet. Luckily I had waterproofed most of the contents but I still had to set up in the rain. I bent a tent stake and had a little trouble but finally got the tent up eventually I was pretty wet and climbed into the tent and began the process of setting up for wet, windy, sleeping conditions. It took forever to get situated and I hoped my bag was dry enough to keep me warm in the night. I really hoped the sun would come out in the morning. I knew that I wouldn't want to get out of the shelter unless it was warm and sunny.


David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: