Thursday, May 5, 2011

Headin to Herrera's Casa with Mr.Davis

We got up and went to breakfast at the cafe. It was great but it seems they celebrate Cinco De Mayo on Siete De Mayo around here. We got on the trail eventually and it turns out Dave is a pretty fast hiker so I figured we'd try to make it all the way to Mike Herrera's Casa by nightfall, then Jeff could just pick us up there as early as he wanted to (he had to work at 10am and we were about an hour 20 out of SD)

We followed a Agua Caliente Creek for the first five miles or so, leaving it once for a nervous hour (I forgot to fill up) but we came back to it several more times before finally climbing up to the ridges. It was a hot day and I really wanted to jump in the creek and soak but I didn't want to foul up other hikers' water source. We hung out for an hour or sow in the midday to avoid the heat and I made some ramen. that stuff just never seems to get old to me.

Back on the trail the climbs where hot and dry; but Dave was really killing it so we just kept trudging on. It took us till nightfall to get to Mike's Casa where we had heard there was trouble between the caretaker and some Thru-Hikers a couple of days ago so we weren't sure what to expect. When we got to the road we still had a frustrating half-mile or so to walk and it was really hard to find the house. We could see the lights but we couldn't figure out how to get there. Eventually we figured it out. Cell service was unavailable all day so there was no way for me to communicate to Jeff our location. It turned out that we were 6 miles down a remote dirt road that was very hard to find and so I had to beam my satellite location up and message my emergency contact list to contact Jeff with our location but since it's not a 2-way link, I would have no way of knowing whether or not it was actually working. I guess we would know in the morning. Dave and I got the last two bunks in the little barn house and we crashed, grateful to have a spot to sleep that wasn't full of rocks.




David AKA “Mister F. Gentle Spirit”
Website
http://www.davidpatrone.com/PCT
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/davidpatrone

No comments: